Volume training builds lean muscle tone and burns fat by doing many sets and reps with minimal rest between sets. This keeps your heart rate up and helps burn calories while keeping the blood pumping to build toned muscle you’re looking for.
A sample workout schedule would look like this:
- Monday – Chest and Back
- Tuesday – Legs and Abs
- Wednesday – Off
- Thursday – Shoulders and Back
- Friday – Arms and Abs
- Saturday – Off
- Sunday – Off
|Chest and Back|
|Dumbbell Bench Press||10||10|
|Incline Dumbbell Bench Press||3||15|
|Incline Dumbbell Flyes||3||15|
|Seated Cable Rows||10||10|
|One Arm Dumbbell Rows||3||15|
|Legs and Abs|
|Shoulders and Back|
|Overhead Press Machine||10||10|
|Front Lateral Raise||3||15|
|Lat Pull Downs||10||10|
|Arms and Abs|
- ALAP – As Long As Possible. Hold the plank position until you cannot hold it any longer. The goal is to increase the amount of time you can stay in that position.
- Pick a weight to challenge you to struggle to get every rep in every set. Next week add some weight to the workout and try to do the sets and reps at that weight.
- Practice good form and get a good contraction every rep.
- Back Machine* – Pick another machine that works the back; a rowing machine, pull downs, etc.
- Try to keep the rest between each set at 90 seconds or less. Be safe and don’t force your next set before you are ready but you should be out of breath and struggle through each set.
If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them below. Be sure to share these workouts with your friends.